Acoustic ceilings, also known as popcorn ceilings, were once a popular building material choice for homes and businesses in Concord, CA from the 1960s up to the 1970s. But like many trends, they have fallen in popularity for various reasons. Many people simply don’t like the look of acoustic ceilings. They also tend to collect dust, dirt, and cobwebs. They are also difficult to clean.
If your home was built before the 1980s and has popcorn ceilings in it, they were most likely made from asbestos, which poses a health risk.
An outdated appearance, difficult upkeep, and unsafe materials have all contributed to acoustic ceilings’ falling popularity.
If you want to get rid of your acoustic ceilings, your home will look more modern and feel safer. But removing them can be time-consuming, laborious, messy, and potentially risky if the ceilings contain asbestos. That’s why there are professional residential painters in Concord, CA like Custom Painting Inc. to do “dirty work” for you.
Importance of removing acoustic ceilings
Once a popular interior design trend, acoustic ceilings have ebbed in popularity in recent years. Home and business owners realize the importance of removing them for any of the following reasons:
- To minimize or eliminate the threat of asbestos.
- To prevent the ceiling from staining or discoloration.
- To prevent the ceiling from collecting dust, dirt, cobwebs, insects, etc.
- Acoustic ceilings disintegrate over time.
- To improve indoor air quality.
- To repair the damage to the ceiling.
- To create better lighting.
- To update and modernize the look of interior spaces.
Here’s how acoustic ceiling removal typically works:
- Inspecting the acoustic ceiling for asbestos.
- Turning the electricity off and removing any light fittings.
- Removing pieces of furniture or covering them with plastic sheeting.
- Covering the floors with plastic sheeting.
- Covering the walls with plastic sheeting.
- Wetting the acoustic ceiling texture to loosen it (but not soaking it or else it would cause significant damage to drywall).
- Safely scraping the acoustic ceiling texture off the ceiling.
- Covering the bare joints using a joint compound and joint tape.
- Filling any cracks and nail holes.
- Sanding the ceiling.
- Priming and painting the ceiling.
- Safe and proper cleanup and disposal of debris.
Some notes to consider about professional acoustic ceiling removal:
- Popcorn ceiling removal – Our crew prepares the workspace by protecting your furniture, floors, and belongings from dust and debris during the removal process. We use the latest equipment and techniques to safely remove the acoustic ceiling texture. Necessary repairs are done to the ceiling following the acoustic ceiling texture prior to painting it.
- Asbestos testing and removal – Before removing the acoustic ceiling texture, our crew first assesses the condition of your acoustic ceilings, considering any potential challenges and risks. Our crew may take a sample of the ceiling material and send it to an EPA testing lab for asbestos content. Once your acoustic ceiling is confirmed to contain asbestos, you must have a certified asbestos removal contractor or a trained painting contractor to do the job for you.
- Water-damaged ceiling repair – Water damage on ceilings, in this case, may be caused by accidentally over-soaking the acoustic ceiling texture that the water seeps directly into the drywall, or by over-scraping the acoustic ceiling texture. Following the acoustic ceiling removal, our crew does the necessary repairs or replacement of the damaged drywall. Afterwards, the newly repaired or replaced section of the ceiling is primed and painted.
Choose Custom Painting, Inc.
Acoustic ceilings may have been trendy then, but now they’re on the way out. They make your home look dingy, gloomy, and outdated. The asbestos content in popcorn ceilings also poses a serious health and safety risk.
Don’t take the risk. Have the best painters in Concord, CA from Custom Painting Inc. safely remove and dispose of acoustic ceiling texture. Then they paint the new ceiling, creating a fresh, updated, and modern look for your home.
But our crew is not done yet. We will also make sure to leave your commercial space clean and tidy. Our crew cleans up all the debris and safely disposes of it, re-installs the lighting fittings, and puts back your décor and furnishings in place – all at no additional cost. All you have to do is to enjoy the clean, safe, and newly painted interiors of your home.
Custom Painting, Inc. is a licensed, bonded, and insured full-service painting company. What’s more, we bring our more than 40 years of experience and expertise to provide the quality results you deserve. We offer competitive rates on acoustic ceiling removal and paint. You will get both services for just one price!
Call us now!
Tired of looking at your outdated and drab-looking acoustic ceiling? If you’re looking for quality acoustic ceiling removal and painting services, call the experienced professionals at Custom Painting at 925-686-0903 to know more about our services or request a free quote.